Tales of the Underbanks Competition
Create your own short story inspired by the Underbanks
We are looking for tales, urban myths, legends, and stories inspired by the Underbanks!
If you are a writer, a habitual story teller or just fancy having a go, we are looking for stories up to 1000 words inspired by the Underbanks, past, present or future.
Once the old road to London, Little Underbank was the finest shopping street in Stockport. All the town’s needs were available on the street, with hosiers, milliners and curriers all plying their trade. The Underbanks also had a more hidden history, with its caves and underground river. Today, new independent shops, cafes and bars take their place on the Underbanks (and the caves and underground river still remain!)
Why not have a go? All we ask is that it is new work, written by you and based in the Underbanks.
Prizes include £100, £50 and £25 vouchers to spend at Rare Mags on books, magazines or beautiful writing tools. We will have two sets of prizes, one for entrants under 16 and one for all ages over from 16 to 100-and-whatever!
Send your story to firstname.lastname@example.org by noon on the 21st of January 2022, along with your name, your age, and don’t forget to give us your email address or telephone number.
Winners will be announced in February 2022 and the top stories will be published into a book later in the year.
1. These terms and conditions are the competition rules (the “Rules”). By entering the competition (the “Competition”), the entrants agree to be bound by these Rules. Failure to comply by an entrant will result in their entry being disqualified.
2. The Competition is organised by Rediscovering the Underbanks, a Townscape Heritage project funded by the National Lottery Heritage Fund and Stockport Metropolitan Borough Council.
3. The objective of this Competition is to reward the best new stories inspired by the Underbanks and to promote the Underbanks to a wider public.
4. The winning work in each category will receive the following prize:
1st Prize: £100 Rare Mags voucher
2nd Prize: £50 Rare Mags voucher
3rd Prize: £25 Rare Mags voucher
5. Entries must be received by:
Friday January 21st 2022, 12 noon (UK time)
(Late entries will not be considered)
6. It is possible for one person to submit more than one entry.
7. Entrants should submit their story along by email to email@example.com with their name, age, and email address or telephone number.
8. All work entered in the Competition must be original material. The copyright in such work remains with the entrant(s).
9. Each entrant agrees to grant the Rediscovering the Underbanks project a perpetual, royalty-free, non-exclusive license to use their submitted work in corporate publications, on the Rediscovering the Underbanks website, in Rediscovering the Underbanks’ advertising and marketing materials and for display purposes.
10. Each entrant agrees to grant permission for the work to be published in an anthology of the prize winners and a selection of other stories submitted.
11. Each entrant hereby warrants that the work which they submit for this Competition does not infringe the intellectual property rights of any third party and the Rediscovering the Underbanks project reserves the right to disqualify any entrant who has submitted work which, in their opinion, constitutes a potential or actual infringement of third parties’ rights.
12. Entrants hereby agree that participating in this Competition does not imply nor can it be construed as creating any obligation for the Rediscovering the Underbanks project to enter into any undertaking with any entrants in the future.
13. The Rediscovering the Underbanks project does not accept any liability for any damage, loss, injury or disappointment suffered by any entrants as a result of participating in the Competition or being selected.
14. The personal information entrants provide when entering the Competition will only be used by the Rediscovering the Underbanks project in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998 and they will not disclose it to third parties other than the project partners Rare Mags and The Writing Squad.
15. The Rediscovering the Underbanks project reserves the right to mention the winners and writers selected for the anthology’s names in relation with this Competition and all entrants agree to take part in any publicity or promotion that may be organised in relation with this Competition.
16. The Rediscovering the Underbanks project reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or these Rules at any time if deemed necessary in the Rediscovering the Underbanks project’s opinion or in the case of circumstances arising outside of their control upon prior written notice to all entrants.
17. In the event of any disputes regarding these Rules, the Competition process, the results and all other matters relating to the Competition, the decision of the Rediscovering the Underbanks project shall be final and conclusive, and no correspondence will be entered into.
18. The Competition and the Rules shall be subject to and governed by English law and any disputes arising from or under them shall be subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.
19. All queries regarding the competition rules should be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org
Click TALES OF THE UNDERBANKS RULES to download the competition rules.