Improving the experience for Stockport’s residents and visitors while they enjoy the town’s Market Place and Underbanks is the key focus for a consultation launched this week.
Stockport Council has launched the consultation which builds on the changes that have taken place in the area in the past 18 months.
The proposals, which can be viewed on the Council’s Consultation portal have been developed to provide an improved environment for walking and cycling and for those wanting to spend more time in the Market Place and Underbanks Area.
The full list of measures can be found online but the proposals include:
• The installation of automatic bollards to limit access to the Market area between 10.30am and midnight Mon to Sun. On Friday and Saturday, the restrictions would begin at 7am.
• The closure of Mealhouse Brow to traffic at all times. Cycle and pedestrian access will be maintained.
• The closure of St Petersgate to through traffic at the St Petersgate bridge over Little Underbank, with a through route for pedestrians and cyclists maintained. South of the closure, there will be no changes to restriction introduced to vehicle movements on Petersgate/St Petersgate, with access to the Merseyway Car Park being unaffected by the proposals.
• The full-time (24 hours a day / 7 days a week) closure of Churchgate/ Millgate to through traffic between property number 7 Millgate to immediately north of the Market Place/ Churchgate junction.
• Creation of a contraflow cycle lane on St Petersgate to allow cycling in both directions. St Petersgate to remain one-way for vehicles.
Cllr David Meller, Cabinet Member for Economy and Regeneration, said: “These proposals are the latest part of our plans to create a fantastic place for residents and visitors in the heart of our town centre.
“The town centre is currently undergoing £1bn of investment and will include thousands of new homes, office space, an improved shopping centre, new transport interchange and local amenities.
“We want to ensure that visitors to the Market Place and the Underbanks can enjoy the area safely but at the same time, also ensuring that residents living in the area are able to enjoy living in the town centre and that businesses thrive.”
A team from the council will be at a pop-up stall in the Market Place on the following dates:
• Thursday, October 7 – 1pm to 5pm
• Saturday, October 9 – 10am to 2pm
• Friday, October 15 – 9am to 1pm
To comment on the proposals, visit Have Your Say.
The closing date for responses is 24th October 2021.